- Have look at all the works carefully in the gallery below, and knowing they are called “abstract” paintings, what do you think the term “abstract art” means?
- What do these remind you of? Look at the images (ignore their titles for the moment), and then think about the questions below. There are no right or wrong answers to these questions. These are your own, personal, subjective responses. However, you will have to explain your response by describing what it is about the image that evokes
- As you look at some of these abstract artworks, they might seem to transport you into their own world. Allow this
- Choose just a few of the works in this chapter. Apply all your attention to looking at them carefully. Does the picture change in any way, if you keep looking for long enough? Do different things appear to come to the fore, for example, and do meanings, or feelings, change?
- Do any of them seem to suggest a space or place? Do they seem to suggest a time – time past, or time in the future?
- Do you think they suggest sounds, or even some kind
- Do any suggest a mood or state of mind – like fear, excitement, anger or ecstasy?
- Now consider the titles. Once you know the title, does it change anything about your looking?